Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Traveler's Checks or Debit cards?


Wolf Trekkers frequently ask me about purchasing traveler's checks for use during their adventures. While traveler's checks were once a necessity for international travel, the prevalence of ATMs throughout the world have almost eliminated the need for them. I urge travelers to carry a debit card (with a four-digit pin) and one to two credit cards. Notify the bank and credit card company that you will be traveling abroad, providing them the specific country or countries of destination. Use your credit card as much as possible for purchases in stores and restaurants. Use your ATM to get currency for smaller purchases from street vendors, taxi cabs or drug stores. There will be a charge for using the ATM, so don't make daily withdrawals. Anticipate your needs and withdraw $100 to $200 in local currency to see you through most of the trip. During your travels, do not keep your credit card and debit card together. You don't want to have both lost or stolen at the same time. I also urge travelers to take at least $50 per person in one-dollar bills (U.S. currency). Despite its current lower value, many foreigners like to be tipped or even paid in U.S. dollars. If you do choose to purchase traveler's checks, be sure to get smaller denominations. Restaurants and shops often will not or cannot cash larger denominations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree for the most part, but my through my experiences I've always received better exchange rates when withdrawing from foreign ATMs compared to charging on a credit card.

So I recommend always paying in cash and always withdrawing fairly substantial amounts from the ATM per transaction for offsetting the service fee. I recommend at least $150 US dollar withdraws.